Thursday, March 18, 2010

Innocence

> >
> > 
> >
> > While I sat in the reception area
> >                 of my doctor's office, a woman rolled  an elderly man
> >                 in a wheelchair into the room.  As she went 
> >                 to the receptionist's desk, the man sat there, alone
> >                 and silent.  Just as I was thinking I should make
> >                 small talk with him, a little boy slipped off
> >                 his mother's lap and  walked over to
> >                 the wheelchair.  Placing his hand on the 
> >                 man's, he said, 'I know how you feel.  My
> >                 mom makes me ride in the stroller too.'
> >
> > *****
> > As I was nursing
> >                 my baby, my cousin's six-year-old
> >                 daughter, Krissy, came into the room. 
> >                 Never having seen anyone breast feed
> >                 before, she was intrigued and full of all
> >                 kinds of questions about what I was doing.
> >                  After mulling over my answers, she remarked, 'My mom
> >                 has some of those, but I don't think she knows
> >                 how to use them.'
> >
> > *****
> > Out bicycling
> >                 one day with my eight-year-old
> >                 granddaughter, Carolyn, I got a  little
> >                 wistful.  'In ten years,' I said, 'you'll want
> >                 to  be with your friends and you won't go
> >                 walking, biking, and  swimming with me like you do
> >                 now.  Carolyn shrugged.  'In ten years you'll be
> >                 too old to do all those things  anyway.'
> >
> > ******
> > Working as a pediatric
> >                 nurse, I had the difficult assignment
> >                 of giving immunization shots to  children. 
> >                 One day, I entered the examining room to give
> >                 four-year-old Lizzie her needle. 'No, no, no!' she 
> >                 screamed.  'Lizzie,' scolded her mother, 'that's
> >                 not polite behavior.'  With that, the girl
> >                 yelled even  louder, 'No, thank you!  No, thank 
> >                 you!
> >
> > ******
> > On the way back from a Cub
> >                 Scout meeting, my grandson innocently said to my son,
> >                 'Dad, I know babies come from mommies' tummies, but
> >                 how do they get there in the first place?'  After my
> >                 son hemmed and hawed awhile,  my grandson finally
> >                 spoke up in disgust, 'You don't have to make
> >                 up something, Dad.  It's okay if you don't
> >                 know the answer.'
> >
> > *****
> > Just before I
> >                 was deployed to Iraq , I  sat my eight-year-old
> >                 son down and broke the news to  him.  'I'm
> >                 going to be away for a long time,' I told 
> >                 him.  'I'm going to Iraq.'   'Why?' he
> >                 asked.  'Don't you know there's a war going
> >                 on  over there?'
> >
> > *****
> > Paul Newman
> >                 founded the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp for 
> >                 children stricken with cancer, AIDS, and blood
> >                 diseases.  One afternoon, he and is wife,
> >                 Joanne Woodward, stopped by to have lunch with
> >                 the kids..  A counselor at a nearby
> >                 table, suspecting the young patients
> >                 wouldn't know Newman was a famous movie star,
> >                 explained, 'That's the man who made this camp
> >                 possible.  Maybe you've seen his picture on
> >                 his salad dressing bottle?'  Blank
> >                 stares.  'Well, you've probably seen his face on
> >                 his lemonade carton.'  An eight-year-old girl
> >                 perked  up.  'How long was he missing?'
> >
> > *****
> > God's  Problem Now.
> >
> > His wife's graveside
> >                 service was just barely finished, when  there was
> >                 a massive clap of thunder, followed by a tremendous 
> >                 bolt of lightning, accompanied by even more thunder
> >                 rumbling in the distance.  The little, old man
> >                 looked at the  pastor and calmly said,
> >                 'Well, she's there.
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment